Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Days 109-111

So the day after Christmas I returned to low-carbing.  I also weighed myself and was alarmed (well, sort of) to find I had gained 5 pounds.  Yes.  Five-freakin'-pounds!  Nothing like having to re-lose...

While I've been keeping it low-carb since the day after Christmas (Monday), I haven't bothered with recording what I've eaten.  Suffice it to say that I have gotten back to eggs for breakfast and the typical lunch and suppers that I'd been having prior to my sugar binge.  Thankfully it appears that a pound or so has moved on.  Additionally, I have been feeling ten times better than I had on the weekend.  A regular diet makes me feel so horribly, I don't know why I do it really.

It's D's (son's) birthday on Friday.  We'll be having pizza that I picked up from Walmart's deli and I'll be looking at getting him a cake tomorrow, probably from Sam's Club.  I think I'll pick up a frozen Bellatori Margarita Pizza for myself as I can eat a third of it and be within a proper s/c  range.  Not sure about the cake yet.  I'll see about getting myself an unsweetened alternative of some sort.

I still will post new recipes that I try.  Such as the Marinated Cucumbers that we had tonight with salmon patties and zucchini pancakes.  If you like them in the typical vinegar/sugar solution, you'll likely enjoy this milder alteration, too.

Marinated Cucumbers
(from Better Homes & Gardens Biggest Book Of Low-Carb Recipes) 
1/3c bottled oil & vinegar salad dressing
1/4 tsp salt*
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1 large cucumber, thinly sliced (about 3.5c)*
1/2 of a sweet onion, thinly sliced into rings (about 1c)*

Combine all in a bowl, cover and chill for 4-24hrs.  

*Made as instructed, serves 6 for 5g carbs each.  I virtually omitted the salt as I only gave one quick dash.  I used 2 medium cucumbers and only about 1/4 of a not-sweet-at-all-but-hotter-than-hell onion.

Bumper-Crop Zucchini Pancakes
(from BHG Biggest Book Of Low-Carb Recipes)
4 to 5 medium zucchini (about 1.5 lbs, about 5c)*
2 eggs
3/4c all-purp. flour
1/4c grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp finely chopped onion*
1/2 tsp salt*
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Trim and shred zucchini.  Let drain of water for 15mns.  In large bowl, beat eggs with fork, stir in flour, cheese, onion, s&p, and garlic powder.  Stir in zucchini until just combined.  Grease hot griddle or skillet and spoon 1 Tbsp batter and spread it out to about a 4" circle.  Cook about 2mn on each side or until golden brown.  

*Made as instructed, serves 12 side-dish servings of two pancakes each at 8g carb per serving.  I omitted salt completely as the garlic powder offers enough saltiness.  I also only  used about 1/2 the called for amount of zucchini as it is what I had in my frozen package of shredded garden zucchini.  I had several green onions/scallions to use up in the fridge so that is what I used, white and green parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment