Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins (lower-carb)

Sorry, can't tell you what the carb count is on each of these. (Anyone got that fancy software that figures this sort of thing out?) But I figure that as long as I make proper substitutions, they have to be better than the King Size pouch of mini Kit-Kats that I have laying around for "an emergency" (i.e. uncontrollable PMS, DMS and  AMS cravings - pre, during and after). I didn't want to turn on my oven this morning. We've now entered summer and are to hit about 70-74 all week... Heat wave, folks. Well, for northern MN. But I have been thinking about homemade cookies and store bought cupcakes with mile-high gobs of frosting for days now and needed to enjoy something baked. I don't know how others do it really. I often read low-carbers stating that they don't even miss this or that. While I don't miss actual bread, I certainly still crave homemade treats like cookies, bars or muffins. Yes. Muffins it is.

So while I was out in the garden yesterday I noticed the rhubarb is growing vigorously, per usual. I thought about a couple of recipes that use plenty of rhubarb that I used to make. But they also include a whole lot of sugar. While I like xylitol as a 1:1 substitute, it's darn expensive! This morning I went out to the garden again and decided to use just a small amount of rhubarb, thereby only needing a small amount of xylitol. I was glad to see they are tender, young stalks yet. Then I started worrying that they still may bake a bit too sour and decided to add a few strawberries to help sweeten them naturally. In my opinion, they turned out perfectly. Wonderfully light and sweet... especially delicious with a slab of butter and a cup of coffee. I ate two for lunch and am contentedly full.

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
(adapted from my adapted raspberry muffins recipe)
(made 10 muffins)
2 large eggs
1/3c xylitol
1 tsp vanilla liquid stevia
1c almond flour
3Tbsp coconut flour
2Tbsp golden flaxseed meal
2tsp baking powder
4-5Tbsp h&h
1/4-1/2c chopped fresh rhubarb*
1/4-1/2c chopped frozen strawberries*


Heat oven to 350. Place silicone muffin cups on cookie sheet or liners in wells. In bowl, combine first 3 ingredients. In another bowl, sift together the next 4 dry ingredients. Gently add the dry ingredients into the wet.  I then add enough h&h to make it moist enough to be able to then fold in the rhubarb and strawberries, though I'm approximating because I didn't measure. Scoop into muffin cups. Bake about 15mns or until they begin to brown and are firm to the touch. Take out and allow to cool... or not. 

*I used 4 tiny stalks of rhubarb. Once diced I had over 1/4c but not 1/2c. I used about 4 frozen strawberries that I coarsely chopped that looked to be about the same amount as the rhubarb.

2 comments:

  1. those look good - when I get time I can figure out the sugar/carb in each when I make them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good and I have all of those flours just wasting away in my fridge! I saw your ice cream recipe too, may have to get an ice cream maker and make some.
    It's fun to see new ideas:)

    ReplyDelete