Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Oatmeal Raisin & Pecan Scones (Not Low-Carb!)

It's another coffee get-together today and this is the treat that I brought. Yes, not low-carb. (Doesn't mean that I fell off the wagon completely, though - ha ha!) These were actually a second batch as "J" was supposed to pull them from the oven for me and forgot, so the first run got a bit too dark. While I used my microplaner to sand off the darkened bottoms, I didn't want to serve others a not-so-perfect end product. But that fail led me to make a couple of changes, too, which led to this far superior scone. So yummy. Drop them with whatever size scoop that you'd like. I prefer my cookie scooper to make mini ones, which also meant less baking time. My oven heats a bit towards the hotter side, so you may need to make an adjustment there also. I ran out of half & half, so I actually used a combo of h&h, heavy whipping cream and coconut milk. The recipe is flexible. You can use other oatmeal flavors, I would imagine. You can use whatever spice combination you have, rather than the Cake Spice. Change nuts, omit nuts... you get the picture.

Oatmeal Raisin & Pecan Scones
(made 25 mini scones)
1 & 1/2c flour
2 pkts. maple instant oatmeal
1/4c brown sugar
2t baking powder
pinch pink sea salt
2t Penzey's Cake Spice
handful broken pecans
handful raisins
1 stick cold butter cut into cubes
1/2c half & half

Icing:
About 1/4-1/2c powdered sugar, splash of maple flavoring, few splashes of heavy whipping cream, about 1t Penzey's Cake Spice. Stir it all together, thin as needed with heavy whipping cream.

Heat oven to 325F. Mix flour through Cake Spice together in bowl. Add butter and, using fingers or pastry blender, cut butter into dry ingredients until crumbly. Stir in nuts and raisins. Add half & half and just stir until moistened. Drop onto prepared pans ( I use silpats). Bake for 10-15mns, or until edges are turning golden. Once cool, drizzle or spread icing atop.

No comments:

Post a Comment