Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Quick Raspberry Jam - No Pectin

One of my father's friends needed a berry picker for a couple of short rows he has in his yard in town. I wasn't expecting much, but ended up with a couple of full buckets. I already had a few bags of frozen raspberries from our own raspberry bushes in the garden. So I was looking for something quick and easy to do with this unplanned acquisition. I decided to make jam without pectin. It turned out better than I'd expected in the end. The consistency was not as thick as jam typically is. But, as it turns out, the thinner consistency makes it even easier to spread! I'm more of a lime fan than I am a lemon one. So I switched the lemon out for lime.


Recipe: Mix 4 cups somewhat mashed berries with 4 cups sugar and 4 Tb lime juice. Heat at medium to simmer about 20-25mns, stirring often. Remove from heat, let cool, fill container to about 1" from the rim (to allow for expansion) and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment