Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

PCOS

It has been "guessed" that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome in the past when I've gone to my doctors with particular health concerns. Recently I saw an endocrinologist, due to an on-call doctor referring me. He's prescribed a birth control pill which will increase the levels of progesterone and estrogen, thereby balancing out the somewhat elevated levels of testosterone/androgens. I'm on my first day of Tri-Sprintec and thought I'd like to blog as a way of keeping tabs on how it may affect me. So... On this first day I have noticed that this evening (I took it in the morning.) I have felt slightly nauseated a few times. I feel even more tired than usual, sleepy-tired, that is. I am also noticing that on my left side of my jaw, possibly a gland, feels sore when I press on it or when I turn my head off to the right-not every time and not a constant soreness. I'll investigate and see if that is a reported side-effect.

I've ordered Jorge Cruise's book, The Belly Fat-Cure, which I've mentioned before in this blog. A low-carb diet has been shown to be beneficial to some women with PCOS and the endocrinologist also suggested I give it a try again. I don't look forward to it as it's similar to a high protein or Atkins diet, and I've done that before. I'd lost two pants sizes (didn't use a scale so don't know what the pounds were), but was headache-y and crabbier than normal. I was just sick of the idea of eating another egg or another chunk of cheese. Which is crazy, as I love both still.

What I hope for an outcome from taking Tri-Sprintec is the hirsutism (unusual facial hair growth) to subside/lessen... heck, disappear! I also hope that the hair on the top of my head starts to grow more and healthier. I've got some male-pattern baldness going on up there. Of course those two things are the symptoms that people can see when they look at me, so they're the most important to me to take care of first. The irregular periods, the infertility (husband and I will not have any more children anyway), the darker scaly skin near my underarms and along my spine on my lower-back, and the once-in-a-while heart palpitations are the minor things to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment