Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sausage & Kale Soup


We had this soup the other night. It was very good tasting, definitely something to make again. Though, admittedly, it was a little salty. But it tasted great. However, Dad is supposed to be reducing a lot of things, salt being one. As I don't add salt often to a recipe, I think the problem lied within the sausage. So next time I will either use a lower-sodium sausage or one less bouillon cube and likely increase the water by a cup or so. If blood pressure's not an issue for you, this is how I made it (Did I already say that it tasted great?!?) :

Sausage & Kale Soup
(served 6 at our house)

1 ring Polska Kielbasa, sliced or diced
1 heaping gob of minced garlic, I mean Tbsp.
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 & 1/2 cups water
1 can Ro-tel tomatoes with jalapeno (10 oz. can, I think)
1/2 cup carrot, shredded or diced small
1/4-1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (14 oz. can, I think)
1 bunch kale, cut or torn into bite size chunks (I used an organic bunch that I'd bought several days before, about 3 cups worth. I also chose to cut the thick center vein out of each leaf.)

Heat large pot (I love my Dutch oven...) on high. Add sausage pieces and brown a bit. Toss in garlic, followed by the bouillon cubes and water, tomatoes, carrot, black pepper and beans. Simmer until carrots are tender, which will depend on size you cut (mine took about 10mns). Then add the kale and let simmer for about 5 mns more. Serve with crackers or a good crusty baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment