Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Lemon-Mustard Chicken Recipe

I don't know how warm it is where you are. But today reached into the 80's and has been humid and hot hot hot. I've had a package of chicken out from the freezer for several days now and really didn't want to hold off using them for yet another day. So while the recipe is posted as written and the method was to use the broiler, we opted to do ours on the grill. This turned out very good and I would like to make it again. Next time I would like to either add some lemon zest or increase the lemon juice by a 1/2T as I would've liked just a titch more lemony goodness. I'm not sure the cayenne is necessary. I certainly couldn't tell that it was in there. I served a simple romaine lettuce/garden tomato/garden onion salad and some pickled beets with it, as well as the last of the garden green beans, which I sauteed in butter and added some garden chives to. Dad ate it without commenting about the missing starch that he's used to having at every meal! Yay!

Lemon-Mustard Chicken
(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 15 Minutes or Less cookbook)
2-1/2 to 3lbs meaty chicken pieces
2T cooking oil
1T Dijon-style mustard
1T lemon juice
1-1/2t lemon-pepper seasoning
1t dried oregano or basil, crushed
1/8t cayenne pepper

Preheat broiler. Remove skin from chicken. Place chicken, bone sides up, on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 20 minutes, turning once. Meanwhile, for glaze, in a small bowl stir together remaining ingredients. Brush chicken with glaze. Turn chicken, brush with remaining glaze. Broil 5 to 15 minutes more or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. (170 for breasts, 180 for thighs and legs) Serves 6 / 1g carb per serving.

*Changes I made were:
I used 3lbs. boneless/skinless chicken thighs. We used the grill rather than turning on the oven since it's in the 80's currently. I used olive oil and dried oregano.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good - and yeah cayenne is always good to add to lots of stuff.
    Have a good one. :-)

    ReplyDelete