Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Trumpet Vine

I planted two trumpet vine seedlings early this afternoon. One is yellow, the other an orange one. While the first photo shows one in a pot, that is actually one that Dad planted. My two I put out in the empty spots in my square-foot garden temporarily. I may possibly leave them there to over-winter. The next photo is of the reddish-orange trumpet vine that I planted at the end of our trailer a handful of years ago, maybe 5 or 6 years. The third photo is a sucker, or runner, or whatever you want to call it, that came about as a result of burying a vine while attached to the mother plant. I'm posting these photos just because of the differences in the leaves amongst a mature plant and the seedlings. They don't look like they are the same plant! Anyone grow these and familiar with what the seedlings look like? I'll be off to investigate and see what can be seen online about this. In any event, the hummingbirds LOVE these vines. If you want to attract them, the trumpet vine would be a great way to do so.


While out in the garden I picked a small bowl of strawberries. While it is true the season is over for them, there are actually still some white and green ones on the plants yet. I'm hoping Dad doesn't get impatient and mow it all down before they get a chance to turn red. I also picked some young kale leaves to use in a quiche in another night or two. (The larger leaves haven't looked pretty at all this summer. I'm blaming it on all the grasshoppers we've got this year.) I was inspired by Gourmet Girl's most recent quiche recipe. Mine will be made with Jimmy Dean original sausage and a typical store branded cheese. I'll post a pic... if I remember to take one before we eat it.

"N" (sister-in-law) and I went for a long walk down our road. I'd guess that it would be about 3-4 miles round trip. It wasn't high powered since I was in sandals alternating with bare feet. Tomorrow after work I am supposed to meet up with a friend and walk the paved trail in town. She's backed out on me before - so keep your fingers crossed for me. While I know that I still can go for a walk by myself, it's so easy to not do it when a partner backs out.

1 comment:

  1. After some research... It appears that what I was told was a jasmine trumpet vine is actually a honeysuckle trumpet vine! The flowers are virtually the same, but those lily-pad shaped leaves are clearly not of the same plant variety.

    ReplyDelete