Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Leek, Bacon & Gouda Quiche

Dad planted a few leeks this year and they did well. So I did a quick search for a leek & bacon quiche and found this fantastic recipe at Williams-Sonoma. I altered it very slightly by including more eggs, more leeks, and less h&h. It was heaven. Pure heaven. Their recipe uses gruyere cheese, which I also did the first time. Their crust recipe has a link in the quiche recipe - the crust is fantastic, too.

I loved it so much that I wanted to make it again. This time I exerted a little self-control and skipped the crust and tried a new (to me) cheese. My only experience with gouda cheese has been to hear a cartoon character joke about it by saying something to the effect of, "fear the gouda". (Any other Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy fans out there? Ha ha!)

Anyway. This turned out as fantastic as I'd hoped and will be worth making again and again!




Crustless Leek, Bacon & Gouda Quiche
(altered above Williams-Sonoma recipe)
3 small to medium leeks, cleaned and trimmed to just white and light green parts
1/2lb bacon, chopped 
8oz Gouda cheese, grated
4 jumbo eggs
3/4c h&h
1/4c whole milk
1/2t nutmeg
several grinds black pepper

Grease a 9" or 10" pie plate well. Set aside. Chop and fry bacon pieces, drain on paper towel, keeping grease in pan. Add chopped leeks to pan and saute until just turning tender. When done, scoop from pan with a slotted spoon and spread into your greased pie plate. Then spread bacon over that, then grated cheese. Beat eggs, h&h, milk, nutmeg and pepper together. Pour eggs evenly over top. Put in oven that has been heated to 350F and let cook for about 30mns or until set.

No comments:

Post a Comment