Pages

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Are you staying frugal?

Frugal doings lately:
*After someone posted the deal recently, I ordered a 40oz bag of Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla coffee from Sam's Club, with free shipping, for just under $10. So we are set with coffee for quite a while as we've scaled back consumption and this gets combined with decaf for an ideal blend for my husband and self.
*With the above frugal doing came along an unexpected bonus. Included in my Sam's Club box was a 100ct box of Kcups (did not order and not included on my bill). I contacted Sam's online via a live chat to let them know. They told me to keep it. While I don't have a Keurig machine, my new workplace does. I brought it there and now feel no guilt in enjoying a cup a few times a week.
*The convenience store that I still work (bakery department) every other weekend held a meeting last night. We placed number one in our district for a review and for a second category that I can't recall. So each employee received $45 in store gift cards.
*I completed our taxes. Though this year cost us over $125, it was still cheaper than having someone else do them for us (over $200). The last couple of times we had them done by "professionals" there was a mistake on both. Granted, I made a mistake last year and again this year. But each time I am learning something new to watch for the next time.
*Recent freebies at a grocery in the nearby city that I'd loaded to my shoppers card and was able to pick up: free can of new Diet Coke, organic 3oz chocolate bar, chia seed/juice drink, individual serving cup of cottage cheese, protein bar.
*Oh, the biggest thing was a job change. I now know what days and hours I work, consistently. At the convenience store it varied far too much for my comfort. It's a little frightening as I am the only kitchen employee for a preschool. My back-up person is my boss, ha ha. Small businesses - love them. They are unable to offer any health insurance so my husband and I still have none. But that was the case at the previous job, too.
*I still work every other weekend at the convenience store. I get a free car wash every payday and a discount on expiring meats (which have been pulled off shelf to go to food shelter after employees have a chance to purchase). Those things combined with a couple of little paychecks each month seem good enough reasons to keep it. However, I caught wind that people there recently had a review - I did not. So I will have to remember to ask about that when I work this weekend.
*Still trying to do the typical things we all do. Such as turning off lights and power strips when not using them or on the overnights. Hanging some heavier laundry items to dry on racks (winter with extremely cold temps and snow do not make outdoor drying an enticing task) such as towels, jeans, most shirts.
*Our grocery spending has been a lot lower. Though I don't keep track, I know I am spending much less money when in the stores and the number of times in a store has drastically reduced. I've been trying to clear our freezers out so that we won't waste due to freezer burn. I'm nearly down to the bottom of one chest freezer (we have two and the little freezer on top with fridge).
*Have paid two utility bills online that we previously would have used a stamp to mail or used gas to deliver.
*Have set up a customer rewards card for myself, husband and parents at the convenience store I work. Not a whole lot of great perks, but free and discounted is good in any case. Once a month I can add a few coupons to our cards that will give us, for example, a free coffee, $1 off a salad/sandwich, free fountain drink, etc. They also keep track of our milk, store brand pizza and coffee drink purchases so that after a certain number we receive a free pizza/coffee and $1 off a milk purchase. We don't go out of our way to buy those things, though do on occasion anyway, so why not reap a little something back?
*Been using the greens on a small bunch of scallions for weeks. I popped them into a little jar with water that I change or add to every few days and they just keep on growing!













*Requested coupons mailed to me for a new brand of frozen pizza after the ones that I'd printed had expired before I was able to use them, then were no longer available to print. While not exactly the same coupons, they still will give me two free with the purchase of three. They are a bit heavier than what I normally would buy, too.

Eats lately:
Yum. Found a bag of shrimp down deep in the freezer that had been forgotten. J picked up one red bell pepper and a can of pineapple chunks. I made a lime & ginger marinade for the shrimp. Once that was done, I tossed it in a cast-iron grill pan and put it under the broiler. So good.











Mint & Chip fat bombs. Am trying to make a more concentrated effort to scaling back on sugars and carbs again. I'm good for a few day, then I'm sabotaged or unprepared and fall off the wagon.











Of course, I've eaten a lot more than this. But it's all I have taken pics of and, frankly, I haven't been eating the way I'm supposed to either. I did find canned tuna on sale and a bit of cheese. So I've been starting to stock our pantry and fridge as it should be and am refusing any more junk stuff from coming in. The fight is real, grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment