Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Dehydrated Carrots

I canned 5 quarts of sliced carrots yesterday.  I also froze a quart bag, as well.  I had a few left that I then diced and threw into boiling water for a couple of minutes, then drained and quickly dumped into ice water to "shock" them.  I then scooped them out onto a towel where I let them dry a few minutes before putting on the dehydrator trays.  I dried them at 135F degrees (think that's the highest setting on my machine) for two hours, turned it down to around 120F for another ten hours (overnight).  The photo following shows what I ended up with after beginning with about 6 good sized carrots.  That is a sandwich sized baggie.


I look forward to using these in soup or slow cooking stews this winter.  Do you dehydrate veggies?  What do you dry and what do you end up using them for?

No comments:

Post a Comment