Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Day 41 on Belly Fat Cure and Two Recipes!

Breakfast> scrambled eggs w/ham & mozzarella & salsa, 1 slice Ezekial toast w/butter, coffee (s/c=0/1)
Lunch> skipped, not hungry
Snacks> 1 piece Pumpkin Snack Cake w/topping, 1 more piece pump.cake, coffee (s/c=2/1)
Supper> Jorge's Carne Asada Tacos (s/c=4/2)
Total s/c for today - 6/4

Pumpkin Snack Cake
(adapted from an adaption of Paula Deen's Pumpkin Bars)
4 eggs
1 & 2/3c xylitol
1 packet stevia
1c canola oil
1 - 15oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
4c almond flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 & 1/2tsp cinnamon
dash each of ground cloves, nutmeg & ginger
1tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 325.  Spray a 9x13 pan with oil.
Beat eggs and sweeteners until light and fluffy.  Let sit for roughly 10mns so the xylitol will mostly dissolve.  Add oil and pumpkin and beat.  In another bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients until blended.  Add a third of the dry ingredients at a time to the egg mixture and beat each addition until smooth.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake approximately 45mns, checking for doneness.  Cool completely if frosting.  Cut into 24 pieces.

Cream Cheese Topping
(an adaption from an adaption of Paula Deen's icing)
8oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2c butter, softened
1c xylitol, powdered*
1tsp vanilla
1/4-1/2c heavy whipping cream

Mix all in food processor until light and fluffy.  (Add heavy whipping cream in slowly to get desired consistency.)  You can either frost with this or drop a dollop on top of your cake piece.  Keep refrigerated.
* I placed 1c xylitol in my food processor first and ran it until it became powdery.  Then I added the remaining ingredients. 

This was so good... and so filling.  I couldn't believe that that little piece made me feel full, but it did!  It's very moist and flavorful.  However, I did top mine with the cream cheese topping and think that without it, while still good, it likely wouldn't be anywhere near as good.  I also used the sugar/carb info that someone else had calculated.  I'm not sure that this recipe would even have the one sugar that I gave it because the recipe I adapted from used Splenda for a sweetener and I think that that is where the sugar count is from.  This is definitely a "keeper" and I believe I'll make it again.  I'll likely freeze a row or two as I am the only low-carber in our household.  Though you-know-who (Dad) ate it and didn't suspect a thing...


Jorge's Carne Asada Tacos
(Original is on pg.193 of The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise.
*This is my very slightly adapted version.)
3 lbs. sirloin steak
1-2Tbsp Weber Kick'N Chicken seasoning
10 - 6" Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4c chopped cilantro
Sides
3/4c canned Progresso black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2c LaVictoria Salsa Supreme (mild, we're wimps)
1/4c sour cream
Mission Tortilla Triangle chips (6 in a serving)

Heat grill to med-high.  Season steak with seasoning.  When grill's hot, cook the steak 5mns per side or until desired doneness.  Remove from grill, tent with foil and let rest 5-10mns, then slice across the grain in thin strips.

Warm tortillas.  Fill with steak slices, diced tomatoes, and cilantro.  Warm beans and serve alongside with chips and sour cream & salsa.

*I increased the amount of steak as Jorge's recipe said that it was to serve 4 and I needed to serve 6.  I learned that the 2lbs of steak in his recipe actually would've been plenty as we have lots leftover.  His recipe also calls for green onions.  I overlooked that.  I also discovered that we are not in the cilantro loving camp.  Yuck.  But I loved dipping my chips in the salsa with sour cream and a few bean... scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment