Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cauliflower "Potato" Salad

No, contrary to the former post, I haven't given up on low-carb eating.  I got to thinking about how I did things when I first started out eating this way and I lost weight compared to what I changed and only maintained weight.

1.  Back then I wasn't relying on artificially sweetened things so much.  While I had them, it was only occasionally, it then became regularly.  For instance, my somewhat daily cup of coffee became daily.  While that in itself was okay, the fact that I switched from xylitol or stevia to a vanilla syrup sweetened with Splenda was not.  Another example is that I was perfectly content with the malitol sweetened Hershey candy, then later started having other sugar-free candy, such as Werther's or Nips to be specific.  Truth be told, I'm not even sure what those two are sweetened with.  Just goes to show how careless I got.

2.  As much as I hate to admit this... Journal.  Back then I kept this online account of what I was eating each day.  Then I got busy (i.e. lazy) and just didn't.

3.  I measured things out.  Don't think that needs explaining.  But I'll give an example: I would measure my Dreamfield's pasta, or potato/rice.  Then I began to "eyeball it". 

4.  Relied on the same 'ol things over and over.  Gets a little boring, right?  Same fried eggs each morning.  Same pasta and sauce and meat and veggie...  Started getting a little lax with those things by adding regular ketchup unlimited or a sauce that was a little higher in carbs, etc.

Of course the fixes are easy, right?  Or, at least, to know what I need to do in order to fix things.

1.  Cut back, or out completely, my use of artificially sweetened items.  For example, when we are out to eat or picking up fast-food and all the restaurant offers is Diet This-or-That, get a cup of water or go without until we get home.  Continue to feed my sweet tooth with the formerly approved candies and sweeteners.  I'll have my cup of coffee, darn it!  But I will go back to xylitol, h&h and a splash of vanilla/spice/other flavoring.

2.  Recording what I eat each day may continue to be a problem.  Due to time constraints and my lack of discipline.  I'll likely have the hardest time working this fix out.  But it's as simple as this: Just do it.

3.  Measure.  (Note to self - "Duh. Keep it simple, stupid."  Thanks for that line, Dave Ramsey.) 

4.  Experiment.  There are so many wonderful sounding low-carb recipes to try that there is no excuse for getting bored with what we eat.

Which brings me to the recipe that I tossed together this morning, while my previously posted sugar bars were cooling...  It's something that I normally have wrinkled my nose at.  But just like we've all told our kids, you won't really know until you try it whether or not you will like it.  Also known as, "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it."  Could you imagine if I had some bacon on hand right now?  That'd be great to add, too!  Tastes great - I don't think I'd ever miss the real stuff.


Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
(adapted from seeing the ideas of it all over online)
1 - 16oz pkg frozen cauliflower florets
5 hard boiled eggs
1/4c mayonnaise
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
3 tsp dill relish
s&p

Thaw half of the florets in a strainer on the countertop.  Cook the other half just until tender, drain and rinse to cool.  (I think this gives a little variety in texture since I was out of celery/onion.)  Dice all into desired size pieces.  Add diced eggs (pushing them through a cooling rack works so quick and easy), mayo, mustard and relish.   Either add s&p to taste to entire bowl or do so when serving individually.  Gently mix and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment