Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Salted Nut Roll Bars - NOT Low-carb!

I've had this bag of peanut butter chips sitting in the back of the fridge for a month or so now.  I happened to have glanced at the back of the package and noticed there was a recipe on the back for something similar to what a co-worker had brought with her as part of her lunch one day, though she referred to them as her "funeral bars".  I haven't made a real sweet treat in quite some time now for the rest of the family and thought I'd do so this morning.  
You'll notice there's a lot of Flavorite products listed because I just went to their website to copy their recipe for those who like to follow things as they are originally designed.  (I am not one of those people.**My changes are listed following the recipe.)  There happens to be several of their products in my ingredients because our store is one of the stores that features their products.  So use whatever brand you like or have available. These are quick and easy and make a lot!

Salted Nut Roll Bars
(adapted from Flavorite pkg. or here.)
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup Flavorite® butter, softened, divided
1 Flavorite® large egg
4 cups Flavorite® miniature marshmallows
1 (12 ounce) package Flavorite® peanut butter chips
2/3 cup Flavorite® light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups Flavorite® crispy rice cereal
1 (10 ounce) can Flavorite® party peanuts

1. In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, 1/2 cup softened butter and egg until well combined. Press into bottom of a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan that has been sprayed with Flavorite® no-stick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven 12-15 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven and continue baking until marshmallows begin to puff (about 1-2 minutes). Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in large saucepan combine peanut butter chips, corn syrup, remaining 1/4 cup butter and vanilla over medium heat. Cook until chips and butter are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring constantly.
4. Remove from heat and stir in cereal and peanuts. Carefully pour over marshmallows and spread to cover. Cool completely in refrigerator; cut into bars. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.

**I used an entire 10.5oz bag of mini marshmallows, omitted the vanilla (on accident - made no discernible difference as far as I can tell) and used unsalted peanuts.   I wanted to limit the salt just because I don't typically use it in my cooking much and have found that the lightly salted peanuts even are too salty for my tastes.  I then sprinkled a light dash across the top after dropping the topping all over but before patting it out to spread.  Also, at step 2, I turned off the oven before popping the pan back in and it worked perfectly fine.  At step 4 it says to spread your topping over the marshmallows.  That won't work so easily and you will need to instead drop all over and spread with your fingertips by patting.  I should also point out that while it looks like your bottom crust may not cover the bottom of your pan, spread it as best as you can.  Mine did puff and spread to fit completely to all edges.  These are so good!  (Yes, I totally cheated this morning and had two bars.  I'm over it and moving on.)

2 comments:

  1. These bars look fantastic! I would feel proud at only eating two. I'd have had to finish off a whole row. You know, just to make the pan look even!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... If only by day's end it had been just the two. After eating another two I decided to plate up a bunch and drop them off at my brother's house just so there was less to tempt me.

    ReplyDelete